Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Why most artists are mad (as in CRAZY!!!)

I have been working on this piece for a little over a month now, and it's a mix of "just want I wanted" and "hmmm...I wan't expecting that..."





The piece is an abstract sculpture, inspired by a small clip of Eduard Manet's "Luncheon on the Grass." The woman in the background is my favorite part of this painting, and I love the grace of her bathing in the pond. I focused in on her hands dipping in the water, and this is where the sculpture started to take its shape. The "hand" is made out of a cedar log that I drug off of T Bar M's ropes course...and the "water" is lamenated plywood.




I just took my first step towards true artist's insanity tonight. The piece broke. In three places. I am saying this calmly right now, but only because I was just a wreck only a few moments ago. I literaly almost threw the wood up against the wall. I went mad. The wood is so top heavy that the place in the center where it snapped wouldnt stand upright while I was trying to glue on the two pieces on the side that I had just finshed sanding...which they kept slipping off as soon as the middle piece would stay put!...it was a MISERABLE experience!! Fortunately, God heard my prayers and I was able to get it to at least hold for the night... I have to drive it to school tomorrow and instal it before 11. I am terrified...PLEASE pray for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment